Summary: Repair the World commissioned Teaching to the Moment: A Study of Immersive Jewish Service-learning Educators to provide a comprehensive look at the qualities of effective immersive Jewish service-learning (IJSL) educators and the training they need to continue providing deep and engaging IJSL experiences. Though this study focuses on the IJSL field, given that IJSL is a subset of Jewish experiential education, its findings also have relevance to the broader field of Jewish experiential education. Many of the skills, capacities and knowledge areas that IJSL educators need to be effective are shared with other Jewish experiential educators. The framework that this study offers for testing these competencies serves as a model that can be used in other areas of education.
Author: Dr. Shelley Billig, RMC Research Corporation
On November 12, the Human Rights Campaign—the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights organization—released its first-ever index of inclusion within a faith-based community. The Jewish Organization Equality Index (JOEI) provides benchmarks for gauging, and resources for improving, LGBT inclusivity policies and practices of North American Jewish communal organizations. The entire report is available at www.hrc.org/joei.
The Index was intended to create a starting point for a broader dialogue about inclusion within the Jewish community. Read more about what has been written on the Index and join the conversation at #jlgbt!
- Raising the Bar of LGBT Inclusion within the Jewish World Washington Post
- New index for Jewish nonprofits aims to spur more inclusive LGBT policies Jointmedia News Service
- Just How LGBT-Friendly Are We? The Daily Beast
- First-of-its-kind LGBT’ Equality Index’ Calls on Jewish Groups to Strengthen Inclusion Policies Times of Israel
- Jewish Organizations More LGBT-friendly than Fortune 1,000 Companies Haaretz
- Jewish Groups and the LGBT Community Tablet
- US Jewish Communities Integrating LGBT Members Jerusalem Post
- Index Measures Jewish communal Groups’ LGBT Sensitivity Jewish Journal
- Call for Inclusion Washington Jewish Week
- Organized Jewish World Challenged to be More Welcoming of LGBT Community Shalom Life
- Half of Jewish Communal Groups Moving Toward LGBT Sensitivity Times of Israel
- LGBT Study Woefully Incomplete but a Good Start eJewishPhilanthropy
- Jewish Organization Equality Index Released: First-Ever on Inclusion in Faith-based Community eJewishPhilanthropy
- Index Measures Jewish Communal Groups’ LGBT Sensitivity JTA
- HRC Report: Half of Jewish Groups Embrace LGBT Community Examiner.com
- Half of Jewish Communal GroupS Moving Toward LGBT Sensitivity, Survey Shows St. Louis Jewish Light
- Human Rights Campaign First-Ever Index of LGBT Religious Inclusion Philadelphia Jewish Voice