This information originates from a third party, the provider of this opportunity. In the event you have questions or require more details, please contact the provider of this opportunity directly.
Posted January 11, 2018.
UpStart partners with innovators to redesign the experience and expression of Jewish life. If you want to inspire and advance innovative ideas that contribute to the continued growth and vitality of Jewish life, let’s talk.
We are looking for a talented leader, facilitator, and relationship builder to serve our growing portfolio of innovation projects in the Denver/Boulder region and beyond. You are an experienced professional who understands the landscape of the Jewish community and knows how to activate the community’s innovation potential. Your job will be to deliver best-in-class coaching and professional development to local teen professionals, consult with established Jewish institutions that wish to develop strategic initiatives, and engage the greater community in UpStart’s work.
The UpStart Innovation Lead is a full-time exempt position based in Denver or Boulder, CO that covers UpStart’s work in Denver, Boulder and beyond. This position reports to the Senior Director of Design Strategy in California, and will hire and manage the Denver/Boulder Design Strategist and local Associates.
Overview of Responsibilities
Teen Programs: (35%)
The Denver/Boulder community hosts a robust array of organizations dedicated to engaging teens in Jewish life. The Innovation Lead will manage the UpStart team member responsible for running our local flagship Jewish teen social entrepreneurship program. In addition, UpStart is proud to be launching an initiative to provide group professional development and individualized support to teen professional leaders in the Denver/Boulder community. The Innovation Lead will drive the ramp-up, launch, and full execution of this project. Responsibilities will include:
- Customer Discovery: Conducting information-gathering conversations with local stakeholders, synthesizing findings, and determining a menu of content options that meets local needs in the teen provider market and throughout the Jewish professional community.
- Community of Practice Meetings: Following Customer Discovery, hosting Community of Practice meetings for teen program providers every other month. These meetings will aim to build skills and provide opportunities for collaboration among participants.
- 1:1 Coaching: Coaching teen professionals as they apply skills from the Community of Practice Meetings to timely organizational challenges.
- Team Leadership & Oversight: Hire and manage a new Denver-based Design Strategist, who will be responsible for running our flagship social entrepreneurship program for Jewish teens.
National Programs (20%)
UpStart’s National Accelerator provides education and training to a highly select group of Jewish social entrepreneurs who are bringing new methodologies and a fresh approach to “doing Jewish.” The Innovation Lead will identify, support and champion qualified local start-up leaders to apply for the National Accelerator annually, and coach and support local participants in the program. The Innovation Lead will also funnel eligible participants to The Collaboratory, UpStart’s flagship convening for innovators. The Innovation Lead will design and lead programming as part of both the Accelerator and the Collaboratory national UpStart team.
Design Services (15%)
The Innovation Lead for Denver/Boulder will oversee strategic working relationships with established Jewish communal institutions. This includes working with key partners to design and implement innovation consulting services aligned with programmatic goals and developing future potential work within the Denver/Boulder region and beyond. This may also involve sourcing and supervising local UpStart Associates to implement consulting engagements. The Innovation Lead will work closely with the national team to deliver on consulting and coaching engagements across the region and nationally.
Network-Building and Fundraising (30%)
The Innovation Lead for Denver/Boulder will work with the UpStart CEO and Chief Advancement and Operations Officer to identify, attract, and steward advocates and funding partners. This includes:
- Representing UpStart within the Denver/Boulder community as a regional ambassador.
- Leading a regional hub engagement plan for current and alumni program participants and local intrapreneurs via convenings, innovation workshops, showcase events, and networking opportunities.
- Developing a network of highly qualified pro bono and reduced fee professionals to support UpStart social entrepreneurs, intrapreneurs, and UpStart’s broader work in the community.
- Overseeing the Denver/Boulder UpStart Local Advisory Board (ULAB), made up of key lay leaders tasked with advocating and supporting UpStart’s efforts in the region.
- Effectively managing program budgets, funder relations, and grant reporting
- Supervising Denver-based staff, projects, and consultants.
Skills and experience:
You will have at least 8 years of work experience, having started your own project/ business/ organization or provided leadership in multiple organizations of different sizes and stages of development. You will have honed your skills in some or all of the following: program design, fundraising/grant reporting, business strategy, coaching, non-profit organization leadership/management. We hope that you have knowledge of entrepreneurial mindsets and practices such as design thinking and Lean Startup. Experience as a Jewish teen professional is a huge plus! It is a must that you are an amazing networker. We expect that you will be a team player who not only loves to imagine with others, but also hunkers down and make those ideas a reality. You are part program director, part consultant, part network builder and, underneath it all, you are excited to bring the Jewish community innovative experiences for today and to develop visionary leaders for tomorrow.
Salary and benefits:
Compensation is commensurate with experience. UpStart is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws. Ability to travel required.
To Apply: Send a resume with a cover letter that communicates why you would be a “fit” for the position to [email protected] with the subject: UpStart Innovation Lead, Colorado Hub.
UpStart inspires and empowers leaders to dream, build, and grow bold initiatives that enhance the vitality of Jewish life. UpStart hosts programs in 13 communities across the country, supporting entrepreneurs and communal leaders looking to generate and nurture community-changing ideas. Since our inception, UpStart has fueled the impact of over 1,300 organizations and trained nearly 3,000 of the Jewish community’s most inspiring leaders.
(Photo Credit: Upstart Facebook page)