This information originates from a third party, the provider of this opportunity. In the event you have questions or require more details, please contact the provider of this opportunity directly.
Posted November 9, 2017.
“We refuse to accept what is when we know what can be.”
— Seeds of Peace Alumni Charter
We are proud to announce our third annual GATHER Fellowship.
THE GATHER CHALLENGE
The most universal, urgent, and unresolved question, according to our network of changemakers, facing their communities of conflict:
“How do we move beyond superficial diversity to leverage our differences and build thriving, equitable communities across lines of conflict?”
In moving beyond superficial diversity, we are looking to support efforts to integrate differing communities and advance equal opportunities—beyond numerical quotas, the mere presence of different groups, or simple demographic head counts. Leveraging differences recognizes and draws on the variety of cultures represented in a community so that each group’s unique contributions and skills leads to an outcome that is greater than the sum of its parts. We define “community” here quite broadly to include workplaces, schools, organizations, neighborhoods, etc. that aim to create opportunities for all to succeed, advance, and benefit from growth.
CALL TO ACTION
The GATHER Fellowship is an investment in practical idealism. GATHER was founded with the understanding that intractable challenges need to be addressed from a variety of angles. We support social entrepreneurs because we believe that innovative and sustainable solutions are necessary to create longstanding change. We support social influencers because we believe that change cannot be made in a vacuum and that individuals with public platforms are crucial for spreading a message and creating change en masse.
We want to invest in the work and ideas of our alumni and other leaders advancing change across the Middle East, South Asia, Europe, and the United States.
As a GATHER Fellow, you will become part of a premiere cohort of local and global change-agents. Leadership can be a lonely business—GATHER is therefore intentionally designed to support you and your work within the context of a trusting community. You will be provided with the personalized support to advance your work, tools to hone your professional skillset, and access to a pool of funds to expand your impact.
CRITERIA AND ELIGIBILITY
The GATHER Fellowship invests in an accomplished, innovative, and diverse cohort from different sectors and backgrounds. Our selection of Fellows is guided by:
- Proven Ability: Personal experience, familiarity with issue at hand, tools, and passion necessary to achieve stated impact.
- Leadership & Teamwork: Ability to communicate new ideas, influence others, and work collaboratively to maximize collective resources.
- Clarity of Purpose: Clearly defined response to the GATHER Challenge that relates to core conflict issues and a strategically designed plan of action.
- Commitment: Full and active participation in all program elements. GATHER Fellows are expected to be in full-attendance at in-person convenings in addition to 5-7 hours of monthly programming.
Social Entrepreneurs - We define social entrepreneurs as those developing innovative and sustainable nonprofit or business ventures to address societal challenges.
- Proof of Concept: You should be developing a social venture or running an existing social venture with a developed prototype, pilot or other evidence that demonstrates the viability of the idea and its potential to create change.
- Financial Sustainability: A clearly articulated financially sustainable venture model—either existing or readily implementable.”
Social Influencers - We define social influencers as those developing creative campaigns to advance change via public platforms (arts, politics, media, etc.).
- Campaign: You are in a position of influence and running or developing a public campaign that looks to engage others in tackling the GATHER Challenge.
- Megaphone: Access to an effective public platform (virtual, artistic, or otherwise) wherein your message can be spread & access to an existing or developing community of individuals who can be rallied to amplify your impact.
- Incubate: Intensive five-day incubator program comprised of peer learning, professional skill-building, and networking with local experts in Stockholm, Sweden. All associated costs are covered by the GATHER Fellowship.
- Connect: Online platforms to promote your work and participation in a series of virtual skill-building workshops and high-profile lectures.
- Grow: Holistic venture development powered by Social Entrepreneurship Forum combined with access to modest funding to help drive impact.
- Access: Seeds of Peace’s worldwide network of industry leaders and change-agents will open the doors necessary to help make your work a success.
- Amplify: Providing international platforms and visibility to showcase your work and amplify your venture.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF YOU
- Campaign/Venture Development: We are investing in you because we believe in your ability to create real change. We are looking for individuals with ambitious plans and milestones that they will be held accountable to throughout the Fellowship process.
- Teaching and Learning: We expect Fellows to be actively engaged in the high-level learning opportunities organized on their behalf with experts in a variety of relevant fields. We furthermore believe that Fellows can learn enormously from one another, and thus expect our Fellows to be prepared to share their skills and insights with one another.
- Virtual Participation: Because of the international nature of this Fellowship, Fellows are expected to be active participants in a series of online meetings that occur throughout the Fellowship process and be readily available for ongoing email and phone communication with the GATHER team and with each other.
- Bringing it Back Home: GATHER believes deeply in the power of “paying it forward.” We therefore, expect you to organize at least one activity in your community upon returning from the Fellowship Incubator that engages locally with the GATHER Challenge and provides a taste of the Fellowship experience to those around you.
HOW TO APPLY
- Applications Due: November 15, 2017
- Final Decisions: January 2018
- Ongoing Virtual & Local Meetups: January-May 2018*
- Fellowship Incubator (Stockholm): March 7-12, 2018 *
- GATHER Symposium + Seeds of Peace Gala (New York City): May 8-9***
- GATHER Summit: Fall 2018 (Location TBD)***
*Mandatory/fully-funded programming for all GATHER Fellows
***Fellows will have access to these programs but are not guaranteed full-funding for participation.
The Fellowship Incubator will be hosted in Stockholm, Sweden, in partnership with the Social Entrepreneurship Forum.
(Photo Credit: Seeds of Peace)