This information originates from a third party, the provider of this opportunity. In the event you have questions or require more details, please contact the provider of this opportunity directly.
Posted July 13, 2017
Vice President of Development
Division/Department: Public Affairs/ Development
Location: Silver Spring, MD or New York, NY
Position Reports to: Senior Vice President, Public Affairs
Works Closely with: President and CEO
HIAS is at an exciting and critical crossroads, and we are seeking an innovative and strategic leader to join our dynamic team dedicated to rescuing and resettling the most vulnerable people in the world – refugees. HIAS’s mission is to protect people whose lives are in danger for being who they are, and who simply seek safety and freedom for their families.
In the first 120 years of our history, HIAS helped rescue and resettle 4.5 million Jewish refugees. Today, after 140 years, HIAS is an international agency with a $47 million budget that works in 14 countries to protect refugees fleeing persecution regardless of their religious, national or ethnic origin. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our Jewish values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity. At this critical time for refugees, when there are more refugees in the world than at any time in history and refugees have become a highly visible and political issue, HIAS and the American Jewish community are standing up for our values and traditions as a nation of immigrants and refugees.
HIAS seeks a Vice President of Development who has a track record of strategically increasing and diversifying fundraising revenue using both ‘tried and true’ and innovative practices and demonstrates a deep connection to HIAS’ mission. At a time when our mission resonates broadly with the donor community, the VP will partner with the CEO and the Senior Vice President for Public Affairs to leverage this opportunity to build on HIAS’ significant momentum to increase and diversify HIAS’ development portfolio. This will include the enhancement of existing relationships and the development of new relationships with individuals, foundations and others in the Jewish and broader community to support HIAS and refugees.
The VP of Development will:
- Build and lead an outstanding development department to solidify HIAS’ development portfolio and seize opportunities to take the organization’s fundraising to the next level.
- Set revenue goals and produce results in HIAS’ key revenue areas: institutional giving including international organizations and U.S. government grants; foundation and private grants; corporate giving; major donors; online and direct mail individual giving; and planned giving.
- Diversify HIAS’ revenue streams to expand the organization’s support from foundations, individuals and other potential partners to diversify beyond governmental funding sources and create a more balanced revenue portfolio. Identify and implement strategies based on emerging trends in Philanthropy and Development.
- Develop a best-in-class stewardship program for major donors to engage them in HIAS’ mission and strategy.
- Engage and empower HIAS’ Board of Directors to broaden its fundraising capability and goals.
- Be a spokesperson for HIAS and our refugee protection work. Speak to groups and connect to individuals to build relationships with the Jewish community and other key constituencies.
- Effectively manage a team of approximately ten staff and oversee department operations.
- Act as a key leader within HIAS to advance strategic organizational goals, collaborate with other departments, and ensure alignment across departments.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- At least five years of management experience in a nonprofit organization
- Demonstrated success in development for an organization with multiple revenue streams
- Experience expanding and cultivating donor relationships
- Ability to design, explain, and implement annual strategic development plans, campaigns and fundraising events
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Experience working with (1) funders of humanitarian, development, human rights and/or humanitarian efforts and/or (2) the Jewish community, Jewish foundations/institutional funders
- Familiarity with the American Jewish community
- Strong management, budgetary and organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable
- Bachelor's degree required, graduate degree in relevant field preferred
- Understanding of and commitment to HIAS’ mission and values
Please submit your resume and expression of interest to Liz Sweet, General Counsel and Chief HR Officer, [email protected]. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis with a final deadline of August 4, 2017.
HIAS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND COMPLIES WITH ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL EMPLOYMENT LAWS.
(Photo credit: HIAS Facebook page )