What will participants gain from the REALITY Leadership Institute?
- Strengthen critical leadership competencies and skills.
- Contribute to and gain from a robust network of high-caliber leaders pursuing organizational and societal change.
- Inspire others to take action to address complex challenges.
- Examine themselves as leaders and build relationships of trust and mutual understanding.
- Acquire new tools for better decision making and strategic thinking.
- Personal growth and self-assessment.
- Develop authentic and meaningful relationships with other leaders who share similar values.
What are the goals of the REALITY Leadership Institute?
- To offer a unique leadership and professional development program to an intimate group of REALITY alumni.
- To elevate participants’ confidence and skills in leading change in their careers, communities and networks by providing new tools, resources and connections.
- To enhance all aspects of the REALITY program by having an advisory board to provide expertise for the REALITY team on various impact and programming areas.
- To engage the REALITY community in deep dialogue, learning, problem-solving and collaborative work with Schusterman Family Philanthropies partners and grantees.
Who is eligible to apply for the REALITY Leadership Institute?
- Anyone in the REALITY community is eligible to apply — see below for more detailed criteria.
- Priority will be given to community members who have not yet served in a leadership position (hub leader, animator, facilitator).
- The cohort of 25 REALITY alumni will reflect the breadth and diversity of the REALITY community with members from different journeys (2014-2019) and will be representative of a wide range of cultural backgrounds and life experiences.
Who is the ideal candidate for the REALITY Leadership Institute?
- A REALITY community member who:
- Demonstrates thoughtfulness, passion and humility.
- Is a connector, motivator and respected individual within the REALITY community.
- Is passionate and committed to enhancing and advising on aspects of the REALITY program.
- Demonstrates a passion for engaging in acts of tikkun olam (repair the world).
- Is involved in social movements, networks and communities outside of work as a lay leader, volunteer or member.
- Displays evidence of mature judgment and exceptional leadership qualities.
- Is interested in taking on a leadership role within the REALITY community.
- Embraces Schusterman’s Core Values and Code of Conduct.
- Is willing to commit the time and energy necessary to complete the program.
- We seek to have participants from across the entire alumni community, representing different journeys and years.
- We seek a cohort that reflects REALITY’s diversity of gender, race and ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation and geographic location.
- We seek representatives across various professional industries, including business, government, public policy, non-profit, tech, music, media, etc.
- All accepted cohort members are expected to participate in ALL meetings and programming (see below for more information about the commitment).
Who is facilitating the leadership sessions throughout the 5-month series?
- Consultant Fellows from the Schusterman Fellowship will be facilitating the sessions. Each Fellow is an expert in their respective field and brings unique multicultural, international and multi-faceted perspectives on key leadership content.
- This opportunity is in partnership with the Schusterman Fellowship, which has a distinct record of success in innovation and growing leaders’ capacities and skill sets.
How are the leadership sessions held?
- All sessions will be held virtually via Zoom.
What is the commitment for the REALITY Leadership Institute?
- Cohort members are expected to participate in all meetings and programming.
- This includes:
- 10 leadership sessions between January—May, 2021.
- If there is an emergency or work conflict, cohort members are allowed to miss one session, but we highly encourage you to attend all sessions as each will be uniquely beneficial for you.
- 5 advisory board meetings between June (at the conclusion of the REALITY Leadership Institute) and December, 2021.
- If someone has a scheduling conflict with a meeting, they must speak to REALITY staff beforehand.
- If someone isn’t able to commit 100% to this program, please consider engaging with REALITY through REALITY Micro Grants or participating in our signature virtual programming.
What are the goals of the REALITY Leadership Institute as the advisory board for the REALITY community?
- To mobilize a cadre of change agents who work in teams to address major challenges and opportunities for REALITY.
- To provide advice, expertise and guidance for the REALITY team on the following impact areas: virtual signature events, micro grants, leadership opportunities, community building, recruitment, global travel and immersive experiences.
- Participants are not compensated for serving on the advisory board for the REALITY community.
How do I apply?
- Applications are now closed.
When will I receive notification on the status of my application?
- We will be notifying all applicants of their status by January 15, 2021.
If I am accepted, what are the next steps?
- Accepted applicants will be sent a registration form to complete by the assigned deadline in order to confirm their commitment. Calendar invites for each session and more information will be sent after registering.
If I am waitlisted, when will I hear back?
- We are anticipating a highly competitive applicant pool for the REALITY Leadership Institute with the number of strong applicants exceeding the number of spots we are able to accept. While we understand that it is difficult to make arrangements for a potential last-minute acceptance, we do accept participants on the waitlist if a spot becomes available. We will be in touch with you should a spot open up.